Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I simmer and burn for someone, the wrong one : Day Five

Day 05 – Your definition of love

I fell in love for the first time in seven years this fall. I fell hard and fast and deep. The breakup is still new and fresh to me, and I'm giving myself time to heal from it, however there are some things about this that are new to me. I'm not sure if it comes from maturity, or the fact that I have now loved for the first time as an adult, rather than as a child.

I have no desire to bad mouth him. I think he is a terrific person, loving father, and that he's just going through a rough patch. I want him to be happy, even if that means being without me. I have no desire to call him names, belittle his short comings, or make him feel bad about his decision to break things off. I still love him.

Love is sacrificing of yourself for someone else's happiness. A lot of the time, your happiness and theirs goes hand in hand, but true love is going through the bad times.

My son is currently sitting in the living room, covered in blankets, running a 100.8 degree temperature. He spent the majority of last night coughing until he vomited. I cleaned it up. I love my son, even when I don't really like him. Even when he says mean things just to hurt my feelings, and even when he's a gross boy who likes to wipe his boogers on the furniture. I love him when he wakes me up in the middle of the night from the best dream I've ever had, because he had a nightmare.

I don't always love the things he does or the way he acts, but I will ALWAYS love HIM.

Loving someone is about wanting to shield them from all of the bad and scary things in the world. It's knowing that you can't save or protect them from everything, but wanting to do it anyway.

Love is forever.

3 comments:

  1. Stunning post. In your Blogger comments section, can you enable people with just a name and a URL to comment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadie, I'm so happy to be reading your writing again. This is heartfelt and beautiful.
    (hopefully my email comes up with my comment and you know who this is...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clare, done. Susan, of course I know who you are :) and thank you!

    ReplyDelete